Thursday 19 May 2011

Why I don't need a telephoto lens

I am not a photographer, but I like to pretend I am.   Before leaving for South Africa, I toyed with the idea of getting a telephoto lens for my SLR camera to capture our adventures close up. But, given that I only play at photography, I decided that the expense was not justified.

One of the first things we did when we got here was to visit two small game reserves, Kragga Kamma and Seaview.  Both are conservation game reserves close to home that cater to touristy types.

As we drove through the gate of Kragga Kamma I was totally awe struck at the reality of my situation.  I was in Africa.  I was on a game reserve, in Africa.  I was about to see African animals, in Africa.  You get the point.

That was when I got the best picture of my life.  I can show you lots of pictures,  but I can't show you this one. I never even picked up the camera.  This particular picture is etched in my memory along with the rental car smell and the rumble of the diesel engine. It was there. Just over there, to my left.  A white rhino solitary and still.  And, in that silent heartbeat of moment, the moment before I started jumping up and down in my seat whisper shouting (you mom's know what I mean) at my kids "see him, see him over there, a white rhino, no not on daddy's side, on mommy's side) I was glad that I didn't have a telephoto lens.  If  I had been hiding behind my camera I never would have seen him.  He was just inside my peripheral vision, you see, he was part of the bigger picture.

So, for now I will use my regular lens.  I will look at the big picture first and then I will look for the smaller bits that speak to me.  Here are the favorite smaller bits that I've captured, thus far.


Ostrich feathers are so fine, they flow like silk in a strong breeze


To a baby snail, a hydrangea bloom is the big picture


Sometimes, the big picture is really just camouflage


Next post - Name the African animal

No comments:

Post a Comment