Monday 23 May 2011

No monkeys were harmed

Apologies that this is not the aformentioned sightseeing post, but this just couldn't wait. 

In the grocery store today I saw this.



Being curious I pointed it out to the kids and after a chorus of eeeeeewww's I read the ingredient list.  In seeing no monkey's, nor glands listed I figured they were safe and we brought them home to try.  They were kind of sweet and sour like, only more sweet.

An after supper google search turned up that a Monkey Gland is an alcoholic cocktail with gin, orange juice, grenadine and abisinthe.  It was created in the 1920's in Paris and named after a procedure where monkey testicle tissue was grafted to humans and was said to produce longevity, in said humans.  Now that's really an eeeeeeeww!

Maybe some of you have heard of it, but I never had.  Next time I find myself in a bar,  I'm ordering a Monkey Gland. 

Next Post - Sightseeing in PE - Mommy Style.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment