Saturday 26 November 2011

Spring has sprung

I love spring. Always have. The way the crocus poke up through the snow. The way the rabbits used to eat all my tulip leaves, a centimeter at a time, as they pushed their way through the still frozen ground. 

Each spring from the time I was a little girl we had a saying in our home.

Spring has sprung
The grass has riz
I wonder where
The birdies is
We left Canada just as spring was starting and arrived to fall in Port Elizabeth. The leaves had fallen off the deciduous trees, the grass was browning and the birds were migrating north.  Yup, it's weird to say, but the birds migrate north from here.  I missed spring and I'm glad it's finally here. Spring, like everything else here is different.  There are no daffodils or tulips or crocus. It doesn't get cold enough over the winter for them to flower. Here they have daisies in the spring and road construction crews. You'd think, with the weather not going below about 14C, that they would work year round. Nope. Spring weather here, means construction just like in Canada.

Spring in our neighbourhood also means the wildlife are "twitterpated" as Thumper would say. The nyala had a fawn about a month ago, but they are very shy and I never got a picture of it when it was really young. Yesterday, as I was driving out of the subdivision I saw a baby impala. I only had my phone on me so the photo's not great, but here it is.


It was all legs, as you can see, and not too steady on them yet.  The neighbour texted me this afternoon to tell me that an impala fawn had been born. I texted back that I had seen one and asked if there were more.   She said no just the one that I had seen, but she told me that we could expect another 7 babies in the next week or so.  Silly me, I stopped counting at three pregnant impala's and figured I was just seeing the same ones over and over again.  Obviously not. 

So things are busy here in the spring.  My camera is getting a workout trying to capture all of the different and exciting things that I've seen.  I'm glad spring has finally sprung, that the grass has riz and if you stay tuned and I'll even tell you where the birdies is.

No comments:

Post a Comment