Sunday 17 July 2011

Addo Elephant National Park - The Circle of Life

The first few times we went to see indigenous wildlife here in South Africa, we went to private game reserves.  This was our first time to a national park.

The difference between this National Park and the 2 game reserves that we had been to, is that the national park allows nature to take it's course within the confines of the park.  Addo is home not only to elephants, but also lions, buffalo, black rhino, spotted hyena, leopard, a variety of antelope and zebra species, as well as the unique Addo flightless dung beetle, found almost exclusively in Addo. 

At the 2 game reserves we visited the carnivorous predators were in separate enclosures from the herbivores that would be their natural prey.  We arrived at the park in the late morning and stayed until late afternoon.  Predators like lions and leopards generally come out at dawn and dusk to hunt, so though we didn't see either, we saw evidence of their presence in the park.  What we saw gave us plenty of opportunity to discuss the circle of life.

Just at the side of the road I took this shot.



From the shape and width of the spine we think that this is a partial skeleton of an elephant.  It was just at the side of the roadway, far from any watering holes or flat plain areas where you would normally see lions.  So we wondered, was it caught by a leopard hiding in the trees nearby? Or maybe it was dragged there by a group of hyena's or jackals after the lions had finished with it?  We'll never know of course, but it was interesting to discuss.

We saw more evidence of the big cats at one of the watering holes, just below a lookout point.


This was a watering hole with a herd of kudu grazing nearby.  I believe this is the spine and skull of a kudu.  The position of the skeleton suggests that it was taken down and flipped over onto it's back in order to expose the throat for the final kill.

These were the only two skeletons that we saw on our trip, but there were more things to ponder in the circle of life.  Towards the end of our drive we came across this lone male kudu.


It was strange that he was all alone, as kudu are herd animals and usually travel in groups.  As we observed him we realized his rear right leg was damaged in some way and he was unable to put any weight on it.  DS #1 piped up "We should call him dinner".  Cruel, yes, but it shows his understanding of the circle of life.  It is the young, the old, the weak, the injured that are targeted by predators.  But why was this kudu on his own?  Was it his choice or did the rest of the herd leave him behind because he was injured and couldn't keep up?  What would the children do if a friend was hurt, would they leave him/her behind? More interesting discussion points for the family.

The circle of life isn't just predators and prey.  It's all animals and how they need each other within the circle.  Like this flightless dung beetle.


This particular dung beetle is found primarily in Addo.  It lays it's eggs exclusively in the dung of elephants.  They are a protected species.  Which is why the yield signs.



Not only must you yield to the beetles if they are in the road, but you are not permitted to drive over dung on the roadway as it may contain dung beetle eggs or larvae. 

But, perhaps my best lesson of the day came near the beginning when we came across a group of warthogs.

A while back when we had visited Seaview Game Park I had an "aha" moment.  We were driving through the reserve and came across a family of warthogs.  I remember thinking to myself, it's just a warthog, I've seen them before.  I told dh to drive on, I didn't need another warthog picture.   But, as we drove away I thought a bit harder about my decision.  By the second game drive had I really become complacent about seeing a warthog? I decided that just wasn't right.  How often do we take for granted what is so close to us? How could I be so laise faire about this amazing opportunity?  So, the next warthog we saw I asked dh to slow down so I could take a picture.  I resolved to take pictures of all the animals, even if I had photographed them before.  Really, I was resolving to slow down and appreciate all there was to experience on this adventure. 

So, we came across this little family of warthogs at Addo and I asked dh to stop so I could take a picture.


Apparently, I got too close.  Old momma warthog wasn't putting up with it, so she charged the car leaping towards the camera in my open window. 

This was the picture that I took as my finger spasmed on the shutter button in my panic to move the camera back into the car.


She scared the beejeebers out of me.  I'm sure it was 10 or 15 minutes before my heart rate returned to normal. 

I got to thinking about the fact that, outside of the car, in a one on one with momma warthog, I would lose.   I won't carry a gun or any other "safety tools".  So, I have come to terms with the fact that I'm really just a hairless weakling in the circle of life and this adventure of ours is best viewed from a safe distance or the inside of a car at the very least.





No comments:

Post a Comment